With autumn’s changing leaves comes an opportunity to “Fall for the Arts” on Martha’s Vineyard this month and we’re all about East Coast Artsy Fartsy Fun. We also hear the historic Harbor View Hotel will be the setting of an inspirational and entertaining Art*Island Festival of Arts & Ideas from October 24-28, in collaboration with the island’s own Arts & Ideas magazine. A fixture on the Vineyard since 1891, the Harbor View Hotel offers luxury rooms and suites in the heart of historic Edgartown. From its broad veranda, the hotel’s spectacular views of Edgartown Harbor and sailing and yachting where travelers can set sail on a variety of boating adventures arranged through Harbor View Hotel’s waterfront concierge, make the hotel one of the “Top 50 U.S. Resorts” in Travel + Leisure’s “World’s Best Awards” issue. It’s also a member of Historic Hotels of America®.
The event puts the spotlight on the Vineyard’s creative community, as more than 20 participating arts organizations and businesses converge on Edgartown Harbor for five days of art displays, performances and thought-provoking presentations. Festival proceeds will benefit Arts Martha’s Vineyard and Arts & Ideas magazine. Hallways will be transformed into galleries throughout Harbor View Hotel, while the Main Dining Room will host painting, parties and performances. Films and stories will be presented in the art lounge/theater, and youngsters will enjoy their own space for an arts adventure-filled Children’s Carnivale. A limited number of guest rooms will also be available at a special rate starting at $129 per night. Art*Island event highlights include the following:
· Pecha Kucha Night: Sponsored by Martha’s Vineyard Museum, this 20×20 slide show (20 slides at 20 seconds each) explores the process, thinking and creativity behind some of the island’s finest design and art. Wednesday, October 24, 7:30 p.m. Free.
· Paint & Champagne: Renowned Vineyard painter Traeger DiPietro will lead a step-by-step painting workshop in the Harbor View “art studio” (main dining room), complete with music, wine and champagne. The evening will culminate in a group “show.” Thursday, October 25, 7 p.m. $25 per person atwww.ticketsmv.com.
· Island Art Show: Harbor View Hotel’s lobby, dining rooms and function rooms will serves as galleries showcasing two-dimensional art by the Vineyard’s top galleries and artists. Saturday afternoon will bring an opportunity to review and purchase art from the participating gallerists. Friday through Sunday, October 26-28. Free.
· A Vineyard Picture Book: Photographer Alison Shaw and writer and island historian Tom Dunlop will present their latest picture book collaboration, “To the Harbor Light.” Sponsored by Vineyard Stories (publisher of Shaw and Dunlop’s four-book series) and Bunch of Grapes bookstore. Friday, October 26, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Free.
· Open House Party: Open to the public, the festival’s “kick-off” party will showcase music, art and fashion in the Harbor View Ballroom, with local radio station WVVY streaming the festivities to the island and beyond. Friday, October 26, 6 p.m. Free.
· YardWorks: An interactive arts collaborative, the YardWorks dancers will present an hour of short original dance pieces by local and visiting performers in the Harbor View Ballroom. Saturday, October 27, 1:30 p.m. Free.
· Vineyard Shorts: The Martha’s Vineyard Film Festival will hold two screenings of short films by local filmmakers in the Harbor View Art Lounge/Theater. Saturday, October 27, 3 p.m. Free.
· Masquerade Ball: Come dressed as a famous artist or a living work of art – the Island*Art masquerade ball will benefit the Vineyard arts community and is being billed as the party of 2012. Musical entertainment provided by the Sultans of Swing. Saturday, October 27, 9 p.m. $25 per person at www.ticketsmv.com.
· Children’s Carnivale: Sunday will be devoted to fostering the creative spirit in youngsters with collaborative arts activities curated by Featherstone, The Yard, Island Theater Workshop, the YMCA and Arts Martha’s Vineyard. Sunday, October 28, 1-4 p.m. Free.
In addition to Art*Island events, Harbor View Hotel is also hosting a Creative Economy Brown Bag Lunch Speaker Series. Held on Tuesdays leading up to the festival, this series is an opportunity for artists, artisans, and representatives from galleries, art centers and museums to participate in panel discussions on issues affecting the island’s tourism, cultural and arts economy. The luncheons take place from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on October 9, 16 and 23.
So get your art on… East Coast rustic sailing style.